Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Michigan: "So I got bitten by a dog today while out for my run. Pit bull mix, got me on the hand"

MICHIGAN -- So I got bitten by a dog today while out for my run. Pit bull mix, got me on the hand. Nothing real bad, just a little blood and three small punctures. Made a report to animal control. Some of you may know, I have a long history of encounters with dogs while running and biking. I have seen my wife Carol crash when a dog ambushed her.

Two summers ago a dog crashed me and I cracked my helmet when I hit the pavement. In 2004 it was much worse; many broken ribs, a shoulder surgery, and a collapsed lung (I didn't even sue and never got so much as an apology, won't make that mistake again). I have been bitten twice before that I can remember while out running. Many other encounters, too numerous to name them all.

People, please. If you are a dog owner, as are Carol and I, please be responsible. Don't assume your dog is safe. Keep your dog restrained. Don't let your dog run. Even if you live way out in the country. That's is where it always happens to me. Thank you.