Saturday, December 17, 2016

California: Woman says Police and Animal Control ignoring her attempts to report two pit bulls which attacked her dog

CALIFORNIA -- While walking around her apartment complex in Los Angeles, two pit bulls belonging to someone else in the complex attacked Kenai.

"We were on our morning walk and rounded a corner, where we ran into the other dogs," Perfect said of the encounter, "When the pits came for him, he tried to run. I let his leash go so he could run away, but one of the pits got hold of Kenai."

While one of the pit bulls had been tethered, the other was unrestrained in defiance of LA's leash laws.


While the attackers' owner tried to get one of the dogs off of Kenai, Perfect went after the other, using the skills she had learned in the Reddit post.

"I grabbed him by his hind legs and yanked backward like the [Reddit LifeProTip] post described. I 'wheelbarrow' walked him backwards off Kenai, and from that awkward angle, he wasn't able to get around to bite me," she wrote on Imgur, "Kenai ran off to a safe distance and waited for me to catch up."

The pit owner then took over restraining the dog from Perfect, and she was able to go tend to her own dog, who was bleeding from the encounter.

"I read the [post] on Reddit when it was originally posted two years ago, right around the time I got Kenai as a puppy...it was something that stuck with me since it seemed like such a great and safe way to break up a dog fight," she said.

After making sure the owner of the two dogs wasn't hurt, Perfect and Kenai left the scene.

"After a trip to the vet and a $400 bill, Kenai has been treated and sent home with a Cone of Shame," Perfect reported, "Kenai has really thick fur on his neck, which saved the day here because the pits were mostly getting mouthfuls of fur instead of skin."

"But what REALLY saved the day," she continued, "Was that LifeProTip."

"I wanted to share this story in hopes that some people might revisit this archived post," she revealed, "You never know when this sort of knowledge will come in handy."


Her Imgur post:

Kenai is a 2-1/2 year old British Timber Dog (an off-shoot of the Northern Inuit Dog breed). Kenai was attacked by two pit bulls that belong to somebody in my apartment complex. One of them was off leash and didn't even have a collar on. We live in LA, where there's a city-wide leash law. We were on our morning walk and rounded a corner, where we ran into the other dogs.  The owner said it was okay, but I tried to turn around anyway. Don't let Kenai's wolfy looks fool you; has no wolf content and is 90 pounds of scaredy cat. So when the pits came for him, he tried to run. I let his leash go so he could run away, but one of the pits got hold of Kenai. I suddenly remembered a post on r/LifeProTips from two years ago about how to break up a dog fight...

The one pit bull on the leash had gotten away from his owner. The owner managed to get hold of the leash and pull him off Kenai, but he was making things worse by screaming and freaking out. The leashed dog got away and was re-caught a couple times, while the second off-leash dog never let up. The owner was doing everything the LPT post says not to do, so I went after the second off-leash dog myself. I grabbed him by his hind legs and yanked backward like the LPT post described.

I "wheelbarrow" walked him backwards off Kenai, and from that awkward angle, he wasn't able to get around to bite me. Kenai ran off to a safe distance and waited for me to catch up. The owner (who was...on the ground for some reason?) got up and grabbed the dog from me by the scruff. He had a terrible hold on both dogs but Kenai was waiting for me and bleeding, so I went to grab him. I yelled back to make sure the other guy wasn't hurt, and when he said he was okay, Kenai and I GTFO'd.

After a trip to the vet and a $400 bill, Kenai has been treated and sent home with a Cone of Shame. Kenai has really thick fur on his neck, which saved the day here because the pits were mostly getting mouthfuls of fur instead of skin.

But what REALLY saved the day was that LifeProTip posted by the now deleted user abootypatooty. I read their post two years ago, but the information stuck with me and kicked in right when I needed it. I don't think we get to hear results of Life Pro Tips posted here on reddit too often.


I wanted to share this story in hopes that some people might revisit this archived post. You never know when this sort of knowledge will come in handy.

Kenai is huge and can take a beating, but if this had been a smaller dog or a kid...things could have been a lot worse.

EDIT: If anyone is looking at this at a later date, I'd like to say that dealing with the North Hollywood Police Station and the East Valley Animal Shelter has been an absolute nightmare. 

I've been trying to report this dog attack for four days (at the time of writing this) and I've been repeatedly put on hold, hung up on, and brushed off by every single person I have talked to. 

You'd think an aggressive dog being improperly handled would be something of concern, but apparently not.

(Mashable - Dec 15, 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment