Thursday, October 6, 2005

Animal Control Officer suspended after his boss releases aggressive dog

GEORGIA -- Upson County's Animal Control Officer has been suspended by county commissioners over an incident that occurred July 23.

Smart Web has been with the county for eight years, and this is his first formal reprimand.

Web was suspended for five days for allegedly not following procedure in declaring a pit bulldog dangerous after it bit an 8-year-old child in the face on Rualmaine Road.

 According to the Upson County Sheriff's report, the attack was unprovoked, and the young girl required stitches.

According to Web, the grievance is because the dog had been released to the owner.

Web said he did not release the dog, but former County Manager Mark Byrant did.

"I spoke with Mark (Bryant) and he told me that the owner was taking the dog to Pike County and it wasn't our problem anymore," Web said.

"That dog is dangerous. Our problem shouldn't have been given to another county."

The dog was picked up the day of the attack and impounded.

The pit bulldog is owned by a husband and wife who do not live together. She lives in Upson County and he lives in Pike County.

"I told the wife I was going to declare the dog dangerous if she was going to pick it up," Web said.
"I told her that because if she wasn't going to pick the dog up there is no reason for me to declare it dangerous," he said.

If the dog is not picked up by the owner in 10 days, the dog is put down, according to Webb.

During this time Webb was still attending Middle Ga. Police Academy at the county's expense.

"I was at the school the county sent me to," he said.

"I left orders for the dog not to be released. The dog would have been put down Aug. 3, if the owner didn't want to pick the dog up.

"I notified the owner that the dog would be declared dangerous," Web said, "After hearing this, he wanted to pick his dog up."

The Pike County man paid the animal control office via money order Aug. 3, according to their receipt book. The man picked the dog up Aug. 15.

"I didn't know the dog was gone," Web said. "I was still going through normal procedure in declaring the dog dangerous."

Web has since graduated, with honors, receiving a certificate from the basic law enforcement training course.

He said he asked Bryant about the situation.

"When I found out, I asked Mark about it. That's when he told me it wasn't our problem anymore.

"When your boss tells you that it's out of your hands, it's out of your hands. I can't go over his head."

Web said the mistake was not his.

"This is a dangerous dog," he said.

"It was a family dog that attacked without being provoked. I followed procedure, and now I'm being punished because my boss made the decision, not me," Web said.

"This is an unjust situation."

County Commission Chairman Glenn Collins had no comment.

Web said he will appeal this decision at the next meeting of the Upson County Commissioners.

(Thomaston Times - Oct 5, 2005)