Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Missouri: UPS Driver Attacked By Pit Bull During Delivery

MISSOURI -- A pit bull attacks a UPS driver while he tried to make a delivery. Now he's left to recover from several bites, and the owner is left to deal with the loss of a dog he says never hurt anyone.

Adams says he says he walked up to a house in Rogers, and was bending down by the window to drop off a package, when the dog attacked.

“The pit bull jumped through the window, cracks through the window and nicked me across the face,” Adams says. “Not bad... I was able to lean back and then it was just a crazy fight after that.”

The victim describes being attacked by the pit bull

Adams says he began kicking and punching trying to get the dog off. He says the dog scratched his face, and bit his leg before he was finally able to get away.

“When I felt him kind of go a little bit limp for just a second I took off running for the truck,” Adams says. “When I got to the truck I reached back to shut the door he hit the door.”

Police came to the house to control the dog, first with a taser. But officers say when the dog tried to attack bystanders and then lunged at officers; they fired six shots, killing it.

“I wish none of it happened,” says the dog’s owner Thomas Tellekson.

The dog’s owner says that kind of aggressive behavior was out of character for his dog, who he says never bothered anyone, and even played with his young son.

No apologies from the owner. Instead, he complains
that the police 'murdered' his dog

“I'm lost, my kids lost my girlfriends had nightmares the last two nights,” Tellekson says. “You know that's our family member. As far as I'm concerned its murder to me.”

Tellekson wishes officers had done anything but shoot his dog.

“I'd have suffered any consequences that would have come to it,” Tellekson says. “I'd have sat in jail for my dog biting somebody if need be if he would still be alive right now.”

For everyone involved it's something they'll carry with them.

“I think I'm fine,” says Adams. “I guess the first time I walk up to a door and hear a big dog bark or something like that I mean I guess we'll see.”

The owner was issued a citation.



Obviously the Pit Bull was younger here.

(5NEWS - May 20, 2011)