Thursday, May 26, 2011

Owner of dog mauled in Dorchester now in hospital

Pauline Burgess recovering in hospital

UNITED KINGDOM -- A dog owner who saw her pet mauled to death said the trauma led to her collapsing and being hospitalised.

Pauline Burgess was trying to recover from seeing her beloved Jack Russell Toby killed by another dog when she collapsed and is now on a drip undergoing tests in hospital.

“It has all just snowballed,” she said. “It was a reaction to everything catching me by surprise and it’s such a traumatic shock.”

The 61-year-old was walking Toby through the Borough Gardens in Dorchester when a larger dog grabbed him in its mouth and did not let go until it was too late.

She could not sleep afterwards and as she was used to spending every day of her retirement with Toby she decided she needed to buy a new puppy.

Her friend Darren Dougherty drove her to collect six-week old Polly from breeders Foxwarren at Lytchett Matravers but afterwards she asked to get out of the car.

She said: “I didn’t feel well and when I went to get some fresh air I just collapsed. It was really severe and as if I didn’t want to be there anymore. I think it’s from being traumatised and completely shocked.”

Mrs Burgess is on morphine to ease stomach pains and said doctors have advised her they are checking if she has pancreatitis.

Pauline Burgess cradles her dog Toby

She said she will never forget Toby but had decided to get a new pet to help her get over what happened in front of the children’s play park in the gardens. Bystanders said what was believed to be a cross between a Staffordshire bull terrier and a German shepherd shook Toby in its mouth “like a rag doll.”

“I will remember Toby squealing for the rest of my life,” she said.

“He was squealing like a pig. It was horrendous. I’ll never get over it and I’ll never be the same again.”

Mrs Burgess said many of her friends believe the dog should be put down and she hopes the owners are forced to put a muzzle on the animal.

She said: “I hope something does get done and it is muzzled otherwise I think the bitterness will stay with me.

“If it was a child it would be a different matter.”

Anybody who saw the attack at 2pm on Saturday is asked to call PC Mel Caldow on 01305 222222

(Dorset Echo - May 26, 2011)

Earlier Story: