Thursday, June 9, 2011

Poodle Mauled to Death by Pit Bull

CALIFORNIA -- "Lucky", Delta Wilson-Ricky's toy poodle, died Sunday after being attacked by an unleashed pit bull across from North Park in Auburn.


"She was the most gentle, kind, loving dog," Wilson-Ricky said.

Lucky and her owner were following their daily routine, walking in the Parkway Place neighborhood at 2 p.m. when out of nowhere, a pit bull bolted from North Park across the street and attacked them.

"Although I was knocked on my butt, the pit bull didn't injure me," Wilson-Ricky said. "The dog lunged its whole mouth and literally covered (Lucky's) whole back. (The pit bull) crunched into her body."




The owner of the pit bull, Santiago Napoles, tried to stop the attack by using his hands to pry apart the pit bull's jaws. Eventually, the pit bull ceased biting Lucky.

"I was out of my mind, covered in blood," explains Wilson-Ricky. "I ran inside my home, yelled for my husband and we drove straight to the vet hospital."

Once at the hospital, Lucky said her final goodbye.

"She just roused up and kissed me goodbye... she kissed my finger goodbye," said Wilson-Rickey, unable to hold back her tears.

Wilson-Ricky isn't mad at the pit bull's owners -- nor is she mad at the pit bull that took Lucky's life.

"The owner probably saved my life by helping stop the attack... my dog wasn't able to be saved," said Wilson-Ricky.



What does have Wilson-Ricky angry is the fact that this attack took place right in front a sign that clearly states: DOGS ON LEASH ONLY.

"Nothing will bring Lucky back," Wilson-Ricky said. "But this is not the first time something like this has happened in our neighborhood."

Two years ago, while walking her dog, Wilson-Ricky was charged by another unleashed dog.

"Thankfully, a man driving by in a truck jumped out to help and scared that dog away," Wilson-Ricky explained.

Placer County Animal Control officials said animal bite calls and how they are handled falls under state law.

Normally, an animal that attacks at least twice is "put down."



Animals that attack humans or other animals are dealt with on a case by case basis. State animal control officials consider these factors: how bad the attack is, whether that attack was on another animal or a human, and length of time between attacks.

"That sign was posted for a reason," Wilson-Ricky said. "We have got a problem in Auburn. I am angry and I'm going to be noisy. This state is going to hear from me and hear from me until something is goddamn done."

(News10 - June 8, 2011)