Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Boy Bitten By Pit Bull During Fireworks

COKEBURG, PA -- A 2-year-old boy needed 25 stitches after being bitten by a pit bull during a fireworks display in Washington County on Saturday night.



Channel 4 Action News' Jennifer Miele reported that Dasan Daniels' family said he suffered wounds that stretch from his left eye all the way down the left side of his face.

 "It happened in a split second," Amanda Daniels, the boy's mother, said.

Amanda Daniels said her husband, son, family and friends were watching fireworks at Cokeburg Park.

"Dasan fell asleep during the show, but woke up during the grand finale. When he reached down to pet the dog, he snapped," she said. "He's going to be scared for life. That's an awful scare, especially up here on the eye area, because that dog could have really taken my sons eye out."

 An ambulance took Dasan to Washington Hospital, then on to Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh.
 Police were called and asked to investigate. The family said they know the dog's owner, and he assured them the dog had all its vaccinations.

 Amanda Daniels said she's upset the dog was even in the park.

"When you're out in a public place like that and you have big dogs, you never know what they're about to do. The reason that I'm doing this is to make sure nobody else's kid ends up with a scar like my son has," Daniels said.

 So far, no charges have been filed. The family said they are planning to contact an attorney.

(WTAE - July 4, 2011)