Sunday, July 10, 2011

Pennsylvania Letter to Editor: Some pit bulls will go after people, unprovoked

HARMONY TOWNSHIP, PENNSYLVANIA -- Regarding the July 3 article about pit bulls (“Nanny dog or neighborhood nightmare?”) and some of the letters following it, I never saw any reference from anyone who had been attacked by a pit bull.

One day last year, at about 7 a.m., I was headed down my driveway for my morning walk. About 100 yards from the road, two dogs belonging to my neighbor across the road came charging from behind their house.

They circled me barking and while the brown one stood back and barked, the pit bull attacked me, making a grab for the back of my leg. Fortunately it got my shorts and I had bleeding teeth marks where it could have been a bite.

Later I discovered the same dog had nipped at four other people jogging up our road. The theory that dogs only attack if you are on their property or they are provoked is bogus. This dog is an inside dog and most times, if outside, was tied.

The dog was not registered and its owner never produced a rabies certificate. It still resides there.

In May radio station 101.5 did a call-in talk show on pit bulls. Their statistics stated the ratio between numbers of pit bulls and bites are the highest by far of any other breed. They are not a “nanny dog”!

Bea Mackey, Harmony Township, PA


(Express-Times - July 10, 2011)

Read More: