Monday, September 12, 2011

Taking his Jack Russell for a walk results in an attack by loose Akita

UNITED KINGDOM -- A Kinsley dog-owner is warning people to be on their guard after his pet was attacked by a Japanese Akita.

Clint Pell, 52, of Longsight Terrace, was walking on Kinsley Street last Wednesday when the vicious akita grabbed his Jack Russell, Jessie, by the throat.


Mr Pell suffered a minor wound to his hand after trying to rescue Jessie, who was left needing an operation costing £200.

Mr Pell said: “I was walking my dog and the Akita was sat in the middle of the road. It just attacked. It bit my hand and scratched my leg when I tried to pick Jessie up. It cost £200 at the vets to put her right.

“I’ve heard since that it has attacked another dog.

“What if it was a kid it bit, or even if it was a child who was out walking their dog?

“It happened at 7.30am so if it is out when the kids are back at school who knows what will happen?

“I just want people to be on their guard when they are out in that area. They need to be careful walking their dogs and make sure their children are safe. I don’t know who the dog belongs to but it is dangerous.

“The police told me the only way I can get the vet’s fees back is to take the owner to county court, but that’s no good if I don’t know who owns it.”

Anyone with information about who the dog belongs to should call West Yorkshire Police on 0845 6060606.

(Express - Sept 12, 2011)