Thursday, December 22, 2011

Dog bite has Sevier County woman worried about rabies

TENNESSEE -- A Sevier County woman is pleading for the owners of a dog that bit her to come forward, so she won't have to receive shots for rabies.


Bernice Lennon was bitten by a German Shepherd at a Flea Market on Andrew Johnson Highway, near where Asheville Highway splits. The dog was being sold by a couple out of their black Ford pick-up truck. Lennon spoke with the couple for at least 15 minutes before the dog attacked. Lennon said at first, the dog seemed nice.

"I went up and was petting him and playing with him and he was licking me," said Lennon. "He didn't seem really unfriendly."

She says that behavior changed quickly.

"I didn't realize he had lunged and bit me until I pull my hand away from my mouth and it was full of blood," she said.

Lennon was rushed to Jefferson County Memorial Hospital where doctors had to use 35 stitches to close the dog bite. The dog bit a huge chunk out of her lip and tore open skin new her eye.

"Now I'm going to be scarred for the rest of my life," said Lennon. "The doctors have told me that."


By the time Lennon and her boyfriend got back, the couple selling the German Shepherds at the flea market had disappeared.

"All I want to do is know if the dog has had its rabies shots, so I can know if I need to take those shots or not," said Lennon.

"I don't care about the dog," said Roger Tavares, Lennon's boyfriend. "I just want to know if they had their shot, so she doesn't have to go through all that for rabies."

Lennon says the man and woman selling the dogs were white and heavy set and the man had a short blond beard. They were driving a black Ford pick-up. The couple was selling three black German Shepherds - one adult male and two puppies. They had a sign by the truck that said AKC registered.

"I wish it hadn't happened, but thing happen," said Lennon. "I don't want the people to get their dogs took away from them. I just want to know if he had his rabies shot."

Doctors have told Lennon she will have a permanent scar on her face. She will need to know by Wednesday if the dog had its rabies shot or she will start having to receive treatment for that.

If you have any information on the owners of the black German Shepherd you are asked to contact the Knox County Sheriff's Office at 865-215-2444.

(WATE - Dec 22, 2011)