Thursday, April 26, 2012

Woman mauled by pit bulls: 'If you want to survive, you're gonna have to fight'


WASHINGTON -- The 82-year-old woman who was mauled by two pit bulls and discovered by her grandson a bloody mess said there's only one fate for the surviving dog.

Gloria Boswell is recovering at Seattle's Harborview Medical Center after the Monday night attack. Boswell's grandson owned one of the dogs and she said she was picking up a pillow that had fallen off the coach, the dog's pillow.

"I reached down to pick the pillow up and that was my mistake. I had a pit bull wrapped around my neck," said Boswell.

Boswell was bitten in the face, back and both arms and legs, said Gray's Harbor Sheriff's deputies.

Boswell's grandson shot and killed one of the dogs; the other is being held in 10-day quarantine by Gray's Harbor County.

Her daughter shudders at the thought.

"I just felt sorry that I wasn't there to help her," said her daughter. "I close my eyes and I can hear her screaming for help and nobody's there to help her."

"If you want to survive, you 're gonna have to fight," said Boswell, "and I wasn't about to give up my home and my life."

Boswell's other daughter, Carla Inman, said this wasn't the first time the dogs attacked.

"She shouldn't have to go through it," said Inman. "The dog's bit her before. I told them to get rid of the dog when it bit her the first time and they didn't do it. And they didn't report it either or take her to the doctor. "

Boswell said, sadly, the surviving dog must be put down.

"If I had my choice, I probably would (put it down), yes, to save somebody else's life," said Boswell.

(NWCN - April 25, 2012)