Friday, June 22, 2012

Wisconsin: Man mauled by pit bull, that jumped off a 2-story balcony to attack, speaks for first time

‎WISCONSIN -- A man mauled by a pit bull spoke out for the first time Wednesday.


Anthony Johnson suffered 35 bite wounds after a pit bull jumped from a second-floor balcony near 41st Street and Capitol Drive on Saturday and attacked him.

“I just kept praying, kept praying that I was going to win, didn't know I was going to win, but I won because I’m still here,” Johnson said.

Johnson said he told his wife to run as the pit bull was jumping off this second story balcony and charging towards him.

“I protected my neck and the back of neck, and all the vital parts where a dog could take you out in,” Johnson said.

That's when neighbor, Terry Bradshaw, and another man came to Johnson's rescue.

Bradshaw waved down a man driving his car and told him to hit the dog --- so they could somehow knock it off of Johnson's chest.

Then Bradshaw helped Johnson into his car and took him to the nearest hospital.

“Never knew that day was going to be my day, for him to be my angel, and that day he was, he was my angel,” Johnson said.

“I just stepped up and did what anyone else would have done,” said Bradshaw.

Johnson said he will be back to his old self hopefully in about six weeks.


Johnson's attorney told 12 News they are thinking about taking legal action to have the owner pay for Johnson's medical bills.

Milwaukee police shot and killed that pit bull on Saturday, and the owner eventually turned himself in and was cited by police.

(WISN - June 21, 2012)

Earlier: