Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Dog attack victim speaks out at Olyphant meeting

PENNSYLVANIA -- The victim of a dog attack that left two dogs dead spoke out about penalties for vicious animals at an Olyphant council work session on Tuesday.

Jackie Blazek, 35, was out walking her mother's small dog Sept. 18 when both were attacked by a loose pit bull. The pit bull killed her mother's dog. Ms. Blazek believes that she would have been killed as well, had a neighbor not intervened and shot the attacking dog.

The attack left her bruised and bloody, according to the police report. She limped into the work session Tuesday with her mother, Jill Kidwell, to ask about laws that would prevent similar incidents from happening.

The two were joined by five neighbors who said the dog had attacked others before. Now, the community was scared.

"Our police are investigating it," Borough Manager and Solicitor C.J. Mustacchio said. "Our ordinance really isn't a criminal punishment ordinance. It's a nuisance ordinance. The dog law is state law."

Fines of up to $5,000 and jail time can be the punishment for negligence leading to loose dogs, according to the state dog law, Mr. Mustacchio explained.

"If we enforce the laws on the books, they are very adequate," he added.

Ms. Blazek and Ms. Kidwell both questioned how the laws were being enforced. Ms. Blazek also referenced other state's laws that ban certain breeds.

"Ask me if I want to walk to my mailbox by myself? I don't," Ms. Blazek said. "I don't feel safe in my neighborhood."

Her mother echoed her concern but added that she was more concerned about the dog's temperament than its breed.

"It's not about all pit bulls. It's about vicious dogs," she said. "In every town, no one should have a vicious dog."

She hopes that stiffer penalties will be enacted to prevent loose dogs and prevent future attacks.

"I love dogs, but I don't want to be around dogs right now," Ms. Blazek said. "I will be scarred for the rest of my life. Somebody has to be accountable for that."

(Scranton Times-Tribune - Sept 26, 2012)