Friday, September 21, 2012

Woman scarred in vicious dog attack

UNITED KINGDOM -- A WOMAN has been scarred following a vicious dog attack at a block of flats in Ramsgate.

The incident happened at about 3pm on Tuesday at Kennedy House.

Joyce Thompson, 64, was bitten by a Staffordshire bull terrier as she tried defend her four-year-old Yorkshire terrier, Benson.

She said: "I was going to take Benson for a walk.


"Then this dog came along with its owners and went for Benson and had him by the throat. I tried to separate them then this dog just went for me.It was terrifying. I am still in shock, I quite nearly passed out."

Mark Hodder, a fellow Kennedy House resident, came to Mrs Thompson's aid. He said: "There was me and two others trying to separate Joyce from the dog and it still wouldn't come off.

"In the end we had to use a big piece of wood to prise the dog's mouth open."

Mrs Thompson was taken to the QEQM Hospital in Margate where she had to have nine stitches in her hand.

Mr Hodder said: "I think it is disgusting that wild dogs are allowed to roam. This is the fourth dog attack we have had in a month."

A police spokesman confirmed reports that Mrs Thompson was attacked.

He said: "Obviously the priority was to make sure she received medical attention.

"An officer is due to visit her to take a statement and get more details about the incident."

Despite the severity of Joyce's injuries, the dog is still believed to be with its owners.

Benson escaped without serious injury but suffered bite marks on his neck.

Joyce said: "He has been completely traumatised by what has happened and so have I."

"I love dogs. I don't think of Staffordshire terriers are all the same, I know a couple of people that own them and they can be lovely – but this one just went for Benson for no reason."

(This is Kent - September 21, 2012)