Saturday, March 9, 2013

A family speaks out after losing their son to a pit bull

ILLINOIS -- A Galesburg family is speaking out after losing their 7 year old son in a pit bull attack.

The Mead family lost their son Ryan six days ago.  They say it's difficult to find words to describe their loss.

"It's been horrifying. I feel empty, lost," says Sarah Mead, Ryan Maxwell's mother.


 

"A total nightmare cause every one of us, our entire lives was around Ryan," says Tom Mead, Ryan Maxwell's grandfather.

Maxwell was just seven years old when he was attacked and killed last Saturday by a family member's pit bull.

"Oh, man he was my best friend. We did everything together and losing him is like losing part of my life," says Tom Mead.

When family members talk about Ryan, they're beaming, describing a little boy so full of life.

His grandpa says he'll never forget the jam sessions they shared.

"We'd go up there in our music room and he'd sit there and start playing and I'd play my base alongside him and we just communicated that way and talked to each other that way," says Tom.

Even though Ryan's mom, Sarah Mead, says it's difficult to move forward she says she has no other choice

"Because I have another son, so I have to keep going for him," says Sarah.

Sarah says the family support is what keeps her going.

"Cause if I didn't have the support, I have that I do have I would be a mess, I don't know what I would be doing right now," says Sarah.

It's taught them all to be thankful.


"Cherish every moment that you have with anybody.  Cause you never know when something like this could happen and someone could be taken away from you just over night," says Sarah.

Even though Ryan won't be here.  His family says his spirit will live on.

"I guarantee you we'll be telling stories about him. I guarantee you that."

The family says the community support has been amazing.

(WHBF - March 8, 2013)

Earlier: