Saturday, July 13, 2013

Mauling victim reacts to dog deaths

NORTH DAKOTA -- As paramedics rushed John Munoz, 19, to the hospital after at least eight dogs attacked him along a rural road outside Warsaw, N.D., he remembers telling those around him “to do something about those dogs, or I’ll kill them myself.”

However, Munoz said Wednesday that his feelings have changed following the killing of the 14 dogs, 13 of which were killed by Walsh County deputies.





“I am happy they can no longer hurt anyone, but I really feel sorry for them,” Munoz said. “It’s really not their fault that they were that way. It’s the owners fault, he is the one that let them off the chain.”

Prosecutors filed charges against Peter Grzeskowiak after deputies’ encounter with him at the man’s property. Those charges include physical obstruction of a government function and two counts of mistreating animals.


Currently, Grzeskowiak is being held in custody pending a mental evaluation later this month.

After hearing the details of the deputies encounter with dog owner Grzeskowiak, in which he stabbed the throat of one of his dogs, Munoz said he was disturbed.

“When I saw that he killed one of his own dogs, I couldn’t believe it. I was sick,” Munoz said. “He needs to be in custody, I think that’s the best for everyone. I don’t think he should ever be let out.”

Munoz still plans on filing a civil suit against Grzeskowiak.

“That definitely has not changed,” he said.

Munoz, who weighs just 150 pounds and is 5 feet 6 inches tall, was mauled by the pack of dogs just after midnight Sunday on County Road 15. After being attacked on the ground for five to 10 minutes, Munoz said he made his way to the side of the road where he pulled out tall grass to fend off the dogs.

While being followed by some of the dogs, Munoz made his way to a nearby farm where he was taken to Altru Hospital in Grand Forks.

It has been four days since the attack and Munoz said he is finally feeling better.


“I have started moving my arms again,” Munoz said. “It’s great how much better I feel.”

Munoz was hospitalized once again Monday after doctors found an infection growing in one of his bite wounds.

He was treated overnight at Essentia Health in Fargo and released Tuesday.

(Grand Forks Herald - Jul 10, 2013)

Earlier