Saturday, September 21, 2013

Family of Dawson Park dog-bite girl speak of shock

UNITED KINGDOM -- “I cried, but the ambulance man told me I was very brave.”

Those were the words of an eight-year-old girl as she recovered at home today after being attacked by a Rottweiler in a Dundee park.

Kasey Hathway was left terrified by the incident as she played in Dawson Park on Saturday evening.

The youngster required treatment at Ninewells Hospital after the dog savaged her thigh as she rode her bike, leaving deep holes in her leg.


Mum Amanda Hagan, 27, said it shocked and scared her when people were not responsible dog owners.

The family own a 10-year-old Rottweiler, Ben, but Amanda said if her dog hurt a child she would have him destroyed.

She said: “We’ve got Ben and he wouldn’t hurt anyone. But you can never be sure. You’ve got to be careful, and if touched any of the kids he would have to go.

“It would break my heart, but people have to be responsible and safety comes first.

“Kasey has been nervous around Ben ever since, especially when he is near her legs. Her thigh is still bleeding.”

Kasey, who lives in Charleston, said: “I was on a bike and it jumped up at me. It did hurt and I cried, but the ambulance man told me I was very brave.”

Kasey’s auntie, Amanda Outney, was looking after her when it happened. Amanda said she was left “shaking like a leaf” after the attack, which happened about 7.45pm.

She said: “Kasey was on her bike and she rode past the dog and it just jumped up at her. It hung on for a second and then let go.

“I couldn’t think about anything apart from getting help, but I didn’t have my phone with me. We had to walk back home and she was crying all the way.

“We put a towel round her leg because the wound was quite bad and then I called an ambulance.”

Police are hunting the owner of the dog, and a spokesman for Police Scotland appealed for anyone who had witnessed the incident to come forward by phoning 101, or to speak to any officer.

(Evening Telegraph - Sept 17, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment