Saturday, December 7, 2013

Seriously? You didn't know you were dragging your puppy? Please!

Puppy pulled by scooter 'a mistake,' Moline man says

ILLINOIS -- The Moline man accused of animal cruelty for dragging a puppy behind a motorized scooter says the incident was "a terrible mistake."


 
Samuel May, 47, was charged with animal cruelty after police saw a surveillance video from the 7-Eleven convenience store at 27th Street and Avenue of the Cities showing the chocolate lab being dragged by a leash behind May's scooter.

The 5-month-old puppy, named Georgia, is being cared for at the Rock Island County Animal Shelter, pending the outcome of the case. The incident occurred Dec. 1.

The small wounds on her hips and paws appeared to be healing Friday, and Georgia was excitedly greeting visitors. Shelter staff said May has called to check on her welfare.

At his home Friday, May wept as he explained that Georgia frequently runs alongside his scooter, adding that the pair travels "single file" when it is dark because he thinks it is safer than having the dog next to the scooter. He said he "cannot bear" to watch the video, adding he had no idea the pup was on the ground.

"I've run with her like that a hundred times," he said. "I didn't know. She didn't yelp or cry or anything."

 

Moline Police Detective Scott Williams said May has changed his story since talking to police. He said May told police he picked up and carried Georgia to the 7-Eleven after realizing she had fallen.

The videotape, however, clearly shows the dog being dragged across the parking lot.

On Friday, May said he realized outside the 7-Eleven that Georgia was hurt. He said he carried her for as much of the 10 blocks home as he could. He then walked with Georgia until she again began to run.

"As soon as we got home, I doctored her as best as I could," May said. "I cleaned her injuries with warm water and soap and peroxide. I have a tube of medicine I also used."

 

Pointing to a recliner in his living room, May again began to cry.

"That's her chair," he said. "I miss her terribly. Everybody thinks I'm a monster, but I'm trying not to think about that. I'm just glad they're taking good care of her. She is loved, loved, loved.

"I would never hurt her on purpose. Stupidity is what it was."


But Williams said, despite May's show of remorse, "I can't believe for a minute that he didn't know (he was dragging Georgia)."

May said the young lab is highly energetic, but he is familiar with the breed and knew what to expect when he adopted her in late July at 6 weeks old.

"I cook a big pot of white rice to put in her food for some extra carbs, and I put an egg in her food for her coat," he said. "I buy the best dog food I can afford. It took me 15 years to get another dog, because I was so devastated when my male lab was hit by a car. I work with her a lot, and we spend a lot of time together. She has a lot of energy. We tried (playing) Frisbee, but it was tearing up her mouth."

He said his mistake has cost him his job.

"I was fired this morning (Friday) over this," he said. "People think I'm a monster, but it was a terribly stupid mistake on my part. My God, though, it was not intentional. I wish, if anyone had seen what was happening, they would have yelled, 'Stop! Your dog!' I didn't feel tension on the leash. It was around my wrist, and my hands were steering the scooter."

As he looked at the two large dog bones still sitting in Georgia's recliner, May tried to speak through sobs.

"She's an awesome, super smart dog," he said. "People have said the videotape is really bad. I don't want to watch it, because I don't think I can handle it."

May is correct in his categorization of others' view of him, following the release of the videotape.


Many online commenters have called for serious sanctions, even proposing vigilante justice. On Friday, a letter to the editor of the Quad-City Times suggested violence against May and referred to him as "a monster."

Williams said police are more wary than most because they are accustomed to suspects who become "suddenly remorseful" upon arrest.

First-offense animal cruelty is a Class A misdemeanor in Illinois and carries a jail sentence of up to one year and a fine of up to $2,500.

(Quad City Times - Dec 6, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment