Friday, January 17, 2014

Police: Pit bulls attack woman, Yorkshire terrier in Delco

PENNSYLVANIA -- Two pit bulls allegedly attacked a woman and a Yorkshire Terrier Saturday morning in the Highland Park section of the township.

Police responded about 9:30 a.m. to the 100 block of Englewood Road.

The victim, identified as a 60-year-old woman, and Winston, her son’s dog, were both injured.

“The victim was dog-sitting a Yorkshire terrier and was walking the dog,” police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said. “One pit bull comes running out from the rear of house and then the second pit bull came running. Apparently, they got out of the yard.

“She tries to intervene and gets knocked down by the two pit bulls. She suffered a hand injury and an injury to her knee. She was able to grab the terrier and get away.

"When we interviewed the owner of the pit bulls, he said the dogs wanted to play and the [Yorkshire]  Terrier was aggressive.”

The woman received treatment at Delaware County Memorial Hospital for her injuries. The dog was taken to a veterinarian for treatment of bites on his back.

“I expect citations to be issued to the owner of the pit bulls,” Chitwood said. “I don’t buy that the Yorkshire terrier attacked them and the pit bulls wanted to play. Fortunately, there were no serious injuries. A neighbor came out to assist the woman.”

Diane McNamara, the neighbor who came to the victim’s aid, was inside her house when she heard was she described as horrible sounds.

“I heard ungodly noises,” McNamara said. “I heard screaming, then I heard growling like they were in a frenzy. It was horrible. I’ll never forget the sounds.

"Not one other person came out of their house or even opened their door when the pit bulls attacked the woman and the little dog. I felt so bad for her. The dog had holes in him. I couldn’t get in the middle of a dog fight.”

According to McNamara, the victim’s son is on vacation and she was caring for his dog, named Winston.

“He’s so cute,” McNamara said.

After the attack, the victim was walking back to her house carrying the bloodied dog.

“I had my arms around her,” McNamara said. “(Lt.) Tommy Sharp took over. I called him and told him what happened and he came right away. It was pouring rain. I was soaked and she was in shock. The dogs knocked her down. I walked her home. She lives right around the corner. She was saying, ‘I’m OK, I’m OK.’ It was so sad.

“The owner (of the pit bulls) came out and tried to pull the dogs off the Yorkie. They put a rope around their necks to pull the dogs back to the house. I’m scared to walk my dog now.”

The incident remains under investigation.

(Main Line-Jan 16, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment