Saturday, January 11, 2014

Teenager savaged by dog in the street feared his arm would be ripped off

UNITED KINGDOM -- A young boy savaged in the street by a dog says he feared he was going to have his arm ripped off.

Kayne Kennedy, 14, was attacked when a Rhodesian Ridgeback went berserk in the street as he walked through Harpurhey in Manchester on Wednesday afternoon.

Neighbours desperately tried to fight it off before it turned on one of them, 27 year-old Zoe Rutledge, and attacked her.

It was eventually stopped by hero by-stander Neil Twigg , 41, who grabbed a carving knife from his kitchen and stabbed it to death.



Kayne was rushed to Manchester Royal Infirmary by ambulance and was later transferred to Wythenshawe hospital where Zoe is also being treated.

Kayne told the Manchester Evening News from his hospital bed: “We were walking around and then it just came running towards us. It grabbed hold of me and was dragging me down the street.

“I was in so much pain and I looked down and I was pouring with blood. I thought I was going to get my arm pulled off. It was so scary. It was only when the woman came and it let go of me and went for her. I'm still getting flashbacks of it.”

Kayne has suffered injuries to both his upper and lower body and has been told he will need skin grafts on the wound on his arm.

His mum, Maxine, 48, has also spoken of her devastation and anger at the attack.

She said: “When I got there he was being seen to by paramedics. He was crying and screaming and when I saw his arm I started crying too. I just can't believe a dog would do that. And I'm angry anyone would keep a dog capable of doing that.

“It's just lucky Kayne is as big as he is. If he had been a really small child he could be dead. And if the dog hadn't let go he could have lost his arm.

“Kayne reckons Zoe saved his life because when she tried to fight it off it let go of him and went for her. I can't thank Zoe and Neil enough for what they've done.”


Zoe suffered bite injuries to her arm.

Her sister, Kate, also thanked Neil Twigg for his heroic actions , but says Zoe is worried she may no longer be able to look after her mother.

Kate, 23, said: “She's still waiting to go for plastic surgery. But she's lost all the feeling in her hand. She's devastated. She's scared she might not be able to do her job which is full-time carer for my mum.”

Greater Manchester Police and Northwards Housing both confirmed they had had no previous complaints about the behaviour of the dog.

An investigation is ongoing and a GMP spokeswoman confirmed a decision on whether to take any action would be made after all the evidence had been gathered and statements taken from witnesses.

(Mirror.co.uk - Jan 10, 2014)

4 comments:

  1. Patricia Saunders allowed a Rhodesian Ridgeback to run amok. As a result, 60 dogs burned to death in Harpurhey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not necessarily. I was attacked by a Weimaraner years ago and still I am passionate about animals! I have not gone and burnt down someone's property, shattered their lives and Murdered 60 INNOCENT DOGS!! This was the act of a Sick, twisted, evil minded little Scumbag!

      Delete
  2. Ms Saunders can blamed for mistreating her own dog, but she can't be blamed for what that psycho Kennedy did

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know of the kid working in the area. He is a vile human being. Even the dog that attacked him knew he was a bastard. RIP to the dog who tried to help humanity. Wash your face Ken u pile of shit!

    ReplyDelete