Friday, April 18, 2014

DeBary man shoots pit bull after it attacked his dog, officials say

FLORIDA -- Anne Warner is heading home heartsick because her dog of 10 years, a pit bull rescue named Sam, died on the operating table after being shot across the street from her aunt's home.

Sam broke free of his leash and went after a miniature pinscher. The dog's owner owner shot Sam.

 
 
 
 
 
 

"I'm not excusing what happened on my behalf or my dog's behalf, but I think guns are a very last resort and once you pull that trigger you can never undo," Warner said. "It blows my mind that people carry guns to walk their dog in a residential neighborhood."

Ricky Powell, the owner of the mini pinscher, said he tried getting his dog out of the pit bull's mouth, but couldn't.

"That's the only time I've ever pulled it and I hope it's the last time I pull it but in this case if I didn't pull it, my dog would be dead," said Powell.


Powell called 911 from the scene.

"My dog was just attacked by a pit bull and I shot the dog," Powell said on the call.

Powell explained he crossed the street when he came upon the pit bull, who was barking and jumping. Sam then got loose and charged toward Powell's dog.

"It attacked my dog and I tried to pull it three or four times. I couldn't get it away," Powell said. "It had its mouth around it, and I pulled my weapon and shot it."


Powell has a concealed weapons permit and according to Florida law, people have the right to protect domestic animals or livestock.

"I have a right to protect my dog," Powell said on the 911 call.

Warner, who said she immediately ran outside, is certain the dogs could have been separated by something other than deadly force.


"I just feel that should never be the first solution, and I think when people have guns, I don't think they look for other resolutions," Warner said.

Sam was rushed to emergency care but died during surgery.

(WESH - April 16, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment