Sunday, April 27, 2014

'I thought I was going to die'

PENNSYLVANIA -- Hornerstown resident Robert “Bobby” Williams said he endured two hours of surgery, suffered a heart attack and fears he may never again be able to fully use his right arm.

 His fears may be justified.

 Williams, 56, was badly mauled by two brown pit bulls Friday at the corner of Poplar and Pine streets.


 
Wearing a yellow bathrobe hiding the stitches that cover his body, Williams shared the gruesome story Wednesday from the kitchen of his Pine Street home.

 Williams said he was walking home from Kernville at 10:30 p.m. when he stepped into the path of the snarling canines.

“I remember I was getting ready to turn the corner and I seen these two dogs,” he said. “As soon as they seen me they just charged on me. They knocked me down.

“I was screaming, begging for help, but nobody would help me,” Williams said. “I thought I was going to die. I’m not lying. I thought I was going to die.”


Williams estimates the attack lasted 10 or 12 minutes.

“I was screaming my head off begging people to call the police but nobody would do anything,” he said. “I fell back into the bushes. I’m trying to kick them, and they’re tearing me up.”

A woman suddenly ran to him attempting to kick the dogs. Someone else wielded a broom.

 A neighbor shot and wounded one of the dogs, police Sgt. Patrick Goggin said. A police officer shot and killed the other dog, he said.

 Police Chief Craig Foust said the investigation is continuing and the family that owns the animals is expected to be charged with harboring dangerous dogs.


The vicious attack sent Williams to Memorial Medical Center for surgery.

“The dogs bit my eyelid off. They had to sew it back,” he said. “They tore my lip apart. They had to sew that. They bit my ear off. They had to sew that.”

Physicians told Williams he also had suffered a heart attack during the attack. That’s something Williams said he was unaware of.

(The Tribune-Democrat - Apr 23, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment