Friday, May 30, 2014

Victim of dog bites is planning surgery to reattach thumb

KENTUCKY -- An Alvaton woman injured by several dog bites while walking with her dogs is returning to a Tennessee doctor today to set up plans to have her thumb surgically reattached.

Terri Duncan, 39, was injured last week when two neighborhood dogs bit her repeatedly on her property, she said.

Warren County sheriff’s deputies were called to 368 Old Dearing Road at 7:47 p.m. Thursday, where they learned that Duncan was hurt, according to a release from the sheriff’s office.

Duncan was taken by medical helicopter from the scene to Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, where she was treated and released.

At some point during the incident, nearly 80 percent of her thumb became detached, Duncan said.

The final incident report has not been completed, sheriff’s office spokesman Stephen Harmon said.

“We were walking down my driveway. I was going to check the telephone box that is across the road from my house because the Internet hadn’t been working,” Duncan said. “It looked like the telephone company had installed a new box.”

As she walked down her driveway with her Maltese/Yorkie mix in her hands and her purebred American bulldog beside her, she noticed two dogs running toward her.

“As they approached, they were barking,” Duncan said. “Odie (the small dog) had been around them before. He’s been outside, and those dogs have been over here before. As they got up to me they were barking and he barked. I picked (Odie) up whenever they got to me, he was barking, and they were barking. Whenever they got to him, they grabbed his leg. I was just holding him.”

She yelled to a neighbor’s child to get the dogs off her. The child went to get his father, who pulled the dogs off Duncan.

“I never expected them to bite me,” Duncan said.

“They started still trying to get at Odie,” she said. “He was wriggling around in my arms. They are still snapping at his bottom and at his legs. We ended up in the driveway. Both of them at one time started biting at me.”

She dropped her little dog and scooped him up more than once during the melee.

“The second to last time that I dropped him is when one of them got my thumb,” Duncan said. “Whenever they would clamp down, it hurt so bad.”

“I was just in a state of shock,” Duncan said. “I ended up in the middle of the road freaking out. At that point I realized I was covered in blood. Blood was running down my legs.”

The official statement released from the sheriff’s office about the incident states that none of the neighbors claimed ownership of the dogs that bit Duncan, and that Duncan was trying to break up a fight between her bulldog and the other two dogs.

Duncan said she was not trying to break up a dog fight and was walking on her property when the neighborhood dogs attacked her.

Each of the dogs except for the small one was placed in quarantine for 10 days.

(The Daily News - May 27, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment