Friday, August 1, 2014

10-year-old mauled by family Pit Bull

GEORGIA -- Jeremy Martinez said he was petting another dog on the front porch when "Boney" got jealous and began biting his face.

Martinez lost a piece of his lower left jaw during the attack. It happened Tuesday night while Jeremy said he was sitting on his front porch petting "Bella" the family Shih Tzu when Boney got jealous and attacked him.

[Don't you love that they try to explain the reason for the attack. "Oh the pit bull got JEALOUS. That's the reason he ripped off part of my face!"]

"He grabbed me, I tried to run in, but he pulled me back," Jeremy said. "When he took the piece of my face I didn't even feel it, it was so fast."


During the attack Jeremy yelled for help, his father was able to kick and beat the dog with a water hose before he would let go. The entire time Jeremy said he had his hands in the dog's jaws trying to keep him from biting the rest of his face.

"I had my hands like this, opening his jaws pushing him," Jeremy said. "And he kept getting closer and I couldn't do anything until my dad came. He was growling. His eyes were red and wide. His ears were pointing up, his tail back."

An Athens-Clarke County Police officer responding to the scene was also attacked by Boney. The officer opened fire on the dog killing him in front of Jeremy.

"I cried," Jeremy said. "He was my best friend. It was sad, but at the same time good. I know he earned it because he took a piece of my cheek, and he bit a police officer. The police officer had to shoot him several times."

When we talked to Jeremy, he kept saying over and over how he was in shock. He could not believe Boney attacked him. Jeremy said they raised the dog since he was a puppy of just six weeks old.

"I think it is a message to not own Pit Bulls," Jeremy said. "He never bit anyone before. I will never have a Pit Bull again."

Jeremy has a number of doctor's appointments ahead of him. It will take several weeks before Jeremy will know if there is permanent damage.

His mother said the dog also played with her 18-month-old son. She said she was grateful this did not happen to her toddler.

The family says because of the medical bills they can't pay for Jeremy's school uniform. They are asking anyone who may donate an old uniform to contact them.

(CBS46 - July 31, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment