Monday, September 1, 2014

Woman bitten at park sues dog's owners for $125,000

OREGON -- Jennifer Eckel was walking in Wilsonville's Sophia Park in March when, she says a dog bit her hand.


Eckel said the bite resulted in a large puncture wound and laceration to her left hand and thumb that required six stitches to close as well as damaged tendons, a restricted range of motion and a loss of sensation in the hand.


Eckel is suing the dog's owners, who live near the park claiming they are at fault for letting their dog run loose. She's seeking $125,000 in damages


Is filing a lawsuit a reasonable response? Some readers say yes, some say no.


Here's a sampling comments:


kriss1: 125k for a few stitches?


Pharrell Hat: It stuns me to see some imbeciles who think this is no big deal, that it is perfectly acceptable for a dog owner to allow their pet to bite and injure someone and that the injured person is unreasonable for demanding significant compensation for their injuries. There are examples of unreasonable lawsuits asking for excessive judgment but this is not one of them.


bigmike: One part of me thinks this is a ridiculous money grab, the other thinks these inconsiderate dog owners should be taught a lesson.


Maxbender: Good. Enough of this pets are people too nonsense. Many pet owners need a wake up call.


Kev: A wound that required six stitches is no a "nip." I have owned dogs al my life I know what a friendly "nip" is. I have actually had one of my dogs put-down because it bit a friend so hard he needed stitches.


lucas: $100,000 sounds a little steep for non-economic damages.  Then again I know people who have been attacked by dogs and now have such an intense fear of dogs they will not willingly be within a block of one, whether it is on a leash or not.


4x4BikePed: I was severely bitten by a dog on the hand and wrist in the early '80's.  It took almost a year to regain the majority of normal function in that hand.  30 years later my wrist still gives me grief.  Did I sue anyone ..... no.  Fortunately, my health insurance picked up the majority of my medical expenses.  I chalked up everything else (pain & suffering, e.g.) to bad luck and a good lesson learned.


(The Oregonian - August 30, 2014)

1 comment:

  1. if pets were people, we'd hold them accountable for their actions. at this point pets occupy the top of a divine caste system.

    ReplyDelete