Tuesday, October 21, 2014

New Zealand: Man who saved woman being attacked by her own pit bull is humble about being called a hero

NEW ZEALAND -- A Hamilton man says he's no hero but is grateful for the recognition he has received after he saved a woman being mauled by her dog.

Tumanako Pairama was yesterday reunited with Michelle Lovett, who says the 31-year-old father of three saved her life when he scaled her 2 meter (~6 foot) high fence and beat her own pet pit bull off of her with a broom handle last Tuesday.

Ms Lovett believes he deserves official recognition.

"I can't thank him enough for what he did, he saved my life, no doubt and I think he deserves a medal."


But Mr Pairama didn't consider himself a hero.

He was pleased, however, that publicity of his bravery resulted in the SPCA paying for registration of his own dog and the cost of micro-chipping it.

"I consider myself to be just a person who was helping another person in need."

Ms Lovett, 31, was cleaning her car last week when her dog Detroit began growling at passers-by and running along the fence line barking. She tried to put it inside her house, but the 6-year-old pit bull latched on to her left arm and leg and began tearing at her.

"I can't remember much of it but I do remember having a bit of a struggle with him and trying to get into the car and get him off of me but he was too strong."

Mr Pairama and his partner, Sarah Maraki, were walking to their Dinsdale home from a doctor's appointment.

"I heard Michelle screaming," said Mr Pairama.

"I walked up to the gate and just froze, I was in shock myself because I hadn't seen a dog do that to humans before, I've seen them do it to pigs."

"I looked around and saw a broom handle ... I walked up to it and 'bang' - the first hit the dog let go.  It looked at me and I hit it again, it came through again and I hit it again and it was out."


Ms Lovett has had stitches in her left leg, arm and hand and required skin grafts.

Her dog was euthanized yesterday.

ANOTHER PIT BULL ATTACK... THIS TIME TO A CHILD

A 4-year-old Panmure girl was taken to Starship children's hospital on Wednesday evening with dog bites to her nose and mouth.

The pit bull responsible for the attack will be destroyed.

The girl was in a moderate condition yesterday.

(Otago Daily Times - Oct 9, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment