Friday, February 27, 2015

Dog and owner face attack by bull mastiff

UNITED KINGDOM -- A "GENTLE" pet has been left scared and its owner injured after they were attacked by a another dog outside their home.

Dave Cooper was returning from a walk on Friday morning when a dog owned by his neighbour Francis Antony Haydock assaulted his eight-year-old Labrador cross boxer Sadie.

The 61-year-old claimed this was the third time one of Mr Haydock's 10-stone bull mastiffs has attacked Sadie in the past 18 months, costing him and his wife Lynn hundreds of pounds in vet bills.

Mr Haydock told the West Briton he was surprised by his dog's behaviour and said it had not attacked anyone in the six months he has owned it.


Mr Cooper, from near Beacon, Camborne, said: "The dog saw us coming and he just launched into an attack. He got hold of Sadie by the leg and she just went down. There was blood all over the road.

"I've owned a bull mastiff in the past and I know they are powerful animals which have to be controlled. Once they go for something it is hard to get them to stop."

Mr Cooper was bitten on his hand as he tried to pull his dog free.

"The adrenaline was pumping," he said.

"I remember trying to pull the dog off and kicking him, and then it clamped down and bit me. It was a very intimidating situation and I am just glad my wife wasn't walking Sadie at the time."

The structural engineer went to Camborne Redruth Community Hospital where he was diagnosed with a suspected broken finger and damaged tendons. Sadie was taken to the vets where she received stitches and a cocktail of painkillers.

"Physically she is recovering, but I have no idea what damage it has done to her mentally," Mr Cooper said.

"We haven't taken her outside yet, but after the previous attacks she has been too scared to walk past his house. She is such a gentle dog and this has really affected her."

Mr Haydock, who is in his eighties, has owned several bull mastiff dogs and was previously ordered by Truro Magistrates' Court to have one destroyed under the Dangerous Dogs Act.
He said: "I have never seen any signs of aggression in this dog towards people or kids.

"It was unfortunate I happened to meet my neighbour coming out of the gate. I had my dog on a lead in one hand and a TV in the other. For some reason my dog lurched towards my neighbour's dog."

PCSO Andrew Richards, from Camborne police, was called to the incident and the dog is due to be permanently removed from the owner today and placed in a shelter.

No criminal proceedings are being taken, but Mr Haydock has been banned from rescuing any more dogs from the Bull Mastiff Trust in Bristol, where he has obtained his previous pets.

Mr Cooper said: "I am pleased. A bull mastiff is a very special dog and in the right hands they can be very good, but they can be an absolute menace."
 
(West Briton - Feb 26, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment