Sunday, April 12, 2015

Gimli boy, 8, thought he was going to die during dog attack

CANADA -- While a young boy has recovered from minor injuries that resulted from an attack by two German Shepherd mixed dogs in Gimli, Man. in March, he still remembers the incident like it was yesterday.

"I was wearing a really thick jacket, like a ski jacket, and [the dog] actually ripped the jacket. It had pretty sharp teeth and so I just ran for my life," said Luke Hjorleifson, 8.

"I was scared I was going to die because it was looking for prey or something."


Hjorleifson made it home, and the dogs have since been put down.

Gimli's mayor said the owner reported the dogs were not "100 per cent socialized."

The boy was treated in a local hospital after the March 25 attack.

"It was very painful. It kept on stinging. It stung a lot. Every second," he said. "After I ran it bit me. That really hurt. I just ran for my life because it really hurt, actually."

Although the experience was scary, Hjorleifson says it did not make him fear dogs.

"I actually have a dog of my own," he said.

It's a Golden Retriever, and he recognizes it is different than the ones that attacked him.

"My dog is just friendly. It doesn't attack," he said.

(CBC.ca - April 11, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment