Sunday, April 19, 2015

Pit bull killed, owner wounded in officer-involved shooting NW Houston

TEXAS -- A pit bull is dead and the dog's owner was wounded during an officer-involved shooting overnight in northwest Houston.

The woman, who was accidently shot by a police officer around 2:30 a.m. Friday, has been released from the hospital.

  

 

According to the Houston Police Department, the officer had no choice but open fire after her pit bull came at him.

"I think that because he's a pit they went ahead and shot him because a lot of people are scared of pit bulls," Elizabeth Pena said.

Pena's 29-year-old daughter, Melody Garcia, brought the dog with her to the Valero, located at Gessner and Hammerly, to pump gas.


She and her friend got in a fight with a group of girls and at some point the dog leapt out of the car.
"All he did…they were beating them up. I don't know how he got out of the car but he did. He went toward them, Roxanne Torres, Garcia's sister, said.

Garcia's mother and sister said the pit bull, named True lived, in their family home. They say he never showed signs of aggression and they believe he was simply protecting his owner.

The girls Garcia had been fighting with say otherwise.

 

"I kept grabbing him so he wouldn't bite me and the owner wouldn't tell him anything. Just let him keep biting me, biting me, biting me, bit me on her neck," Maria, a dog bite victim, said.

The young woman, who only wants to go by Maria, says the dog is responsible for bite marks all over her body.

"I didn't do that by myself. That little gem was the one who attacked me. Bit me, bit my arms," she said.

 

Maria says the fight started after the clerk at this Valero refused to sell her friend cigarettes. She says… Garcia antagonized them.

Soon the fists started flying and it escalated even further when the dog got involved.

"I love dogs and it extremely hurt me for that dog to have been killed, but it was jumping for cop," Maria said.

"The bad part is now I got to break it to the kids," Torres said.

(KHOU - April 17, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment