Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Austintown woman in fear after dog attack

OHIO -- The warm weather this past week means more dogs are being let outside. That also puts responsibility on owners who are liable if their dog attacks someone.

Allyson Torres took her dog Oliver out to their front yard in Austintown on Friday. She said two terriers ran from across the street and attacked Oliver.

 
 
“She didn’t have them on a leash, and the dogs shot across the yard and dove on us within seconds,” Torres said. “They just went straight for the throat.”

Oliver suffered bite wounds on his neck and back side. Allyson was bit on her fingers. She says she has reported the terriers four other times for aggressive behavior.

  

“Every time I take my dog out, I live in fear that those dogs are going to come across the street and attack me again. I carry a baseball bat with me. I am afraid they are going to kill us,” Torres said.

Hmm, I wouldn't bother with the baseball bat. As long as those vicious dogs live nearby, I would be get my carry permit and keep my gun with me on my side every time I stepped outside my house.

Austintown Township Trustee Jim Davis said it is an unfortunate situation.


“We have a home owner who feels almost trapped and confined to her own home because she doesn’t feel safe,” Davis said.

The owner of the two terriers did not want to be identified. But she says she is following all laws, including a fenced-in pen for the dogs and keeping them on leashes.

Austintown requires dogs to be on leashes or fenced in like at the local dog park.

This is where the pit bulls live

“We would ask for people to comply with that and do that for not only the safety of your neighbors, but the safety of the dog,” Davis said.

According to Ohio law, a dog owner is liable if his or her dog hurts someone. Davis says people should call the police if they witness a dog attack.

(WKBN.com - ‎May 8, 2015‎)

1 comment:

  1. Call the police? Better yet call Mark Kumpf. He'll reassure you that after the pit bull mixes kill you, he'll take care of your cats.

    ReplyDelete