Sunday, June 28, 2015

Conroe-area horse farm owners arrested on animal cruelty charges; 200+ horses seized

TEXAS -- The Montgomery County District Attorney confirmed the arrests Wednesday night of Herman and Kathleen Hoffman, owners of a horse farm just north of Conroe.

The Hoffmans are both charged with 3 misdemeanors of animal cruelty and each have a $30,000 bond. Montgomery County investigators, along with Houston SPCA spent all day looking at the 200 horses on the property.

 

"I have always taken care of my animals, my wife and I," said Herman Hoffman, who spoke to us by phone while investigators searched his home and pastures.

"This is not something I ever expected people to do," said Hoffman.

"Some of the horses are thriving and some that are not in good shape at all," said Brett Ligon, Montgomery County District Attorney. Ligon says it was allegations of neglect from former employees that prompted the search.


"It really does break my heart, being there, working there and seeing it all," said Cassandra Dicken, a former employee.

"I see dead animals, multiple dead horses dragged off burned, hauled to the landfill in the cattle trailer," said Kayla Kidd, another former employee.

"I'm being blamed for burying horses, I haven't buried horses, these people are saying we are burning hundreds of horses and spreading things everywhere," said Hoffman.

Hoffman invited us onto the farm to see the horses. He claims most of his horses are healthy but didn't hide the fact that some are sick and injured.

"I've got a decision, do I take and put down every horse that's 19 years, because it's old, it's gonna die... it's like mom, my mother's 80, put her down... we are tired of her... no we let them live," said Hoffman.

 

Hoffman admits he's lost 10% of his herd this year but he blames it on former employees.

"The more I said.... did the horses get fed, here's a load of hay, here's feed, what do you need, how much feed do we have... I did everything in my power to make the feed here for people to go feed," said Hoffman.

Whether that's enough is now up to investigators to decide.

As for the horses, they are now in the custody of Montgomery County.

An investigator will stay on the farm overnight with the horses and Houston SPCA will be out Thursday morning to decide what comes next.

(KHOU - June 25, 2015)

Earlier:

No comments:

Post a Comment