Sunday, June 28, 2015

Dogs wreak havoc in Tampa neighborhood; resident bitten on leg in her own yard

FLORIDA -- Residents of the Riverside Heights area of Tampa say dogs are terrorizing part of the neighborhood and their owners won’t do a thing about it.

The situation grew more serious this week when one of the dogs bit a neighbor’s leg.

Cellphone video provided by neighbors show a pack of dogs – big and small – running the streets, all seeming to come from a single home on Kentucky Avenue.


"They are chasing people walking their dogs, chasing people by themselves, growling at people," resident Tara Parttridge said.

One video shows just that: A person walking a leashed dog forced to swat away the animals.

Resident Kelly Cheung got an up close and personal view of the chaos Wednesday while unloading groceries.

"I had my hands full, and I started walking up the sidewalk to go into the front door, and they were following me, barking at me," Kelly Cheung said.

"I was just trying to back up. When I turned to open the door, one of them just jumped up and bit the back of my leg,” Cheung said.

Her injuries were severe enough for a trip to the hospital.

"The blood was everywhere. I'm hysterical," Cheung said. "My little dog, I have a 12-pound mini-Dotson, she was trying to get out to get to them."

Parttridge moved to the neighborhood three years ago and she said the dogs have been a problem for two of them.

She's personally reported the owners on a number of occasions. No one was home when we went there.

Hillsborough Animal Services has confirmed the owner was given a citation and the dog that attacked, which was registered and current on shots, is under home quarantine.

However neighbors aren't sure that’s enough and believe it all could have been prevented if someone had acted sooner.

"I know they've patched holes in fences, but the dogs keep getting out and not only are the dogs getting out but their aggressive dogs getting out," Parttridge said.

"I spoke to one of my neighbors this morning, he said, ‘I hate to say it but you took one for the team.’ I'm just grateful it wasn't my child," Cheung said.

(NBC Bay Area - June 26, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment