Saturday, October 31, 2015

Union County woman, Penny Merritt, accused of animal cruelty headed to grand jury

TENNESSEE -- A Union County woman's animal cruelty case is headed to a grand jury, after a judge found enough evidence at a hearing Thursday.

Authorities seized 50 animals from Penny Merritt's Maynardville home earlier this month.

But Merritt insists she's not a hoarder.

"I just love animals. I love these animals, and I feel it's been unfair," she says.


Merritt say she's been rescuing animals since she was 18.

"I take care of my animals. I feed them. They're all healthy and fat," she says.

But prosecutors say she has a problem. They accuse her of hoarding animals. They found 38 dogs, 11 cats and a rabbit in her house. They took them to a shelter.

An investigator testified Thursday he found the animals "held in a cruel manner" at the home.

"I'm very upset. But I'm not gonna give up on my animals. I'm afraid that right now, for the last month they've been kept in crates. And they're not used to being kept in crates."

Meanwhile, the shelter's charging her $10 per animal, per day to care for them while the trial continues. It's $7,000 so far.

Merritt feels she's being treated unfairly.

"All that's gonna come out. The truth's gonna come out," she says. "I don't keep all the animals. That would be what's considered a hoarder. But I have found homes for many many dogs and cats in my life."

Even if Merritt is found not guilty, she'll still have to pay the shelter or risk losing her animals. Her attorney say it's not fair. A separate hearing has been called next week to discuss it.




It's typical that shelters charge "reasonable" care fees. Someone has to change the litter pans each day, someone has to provide food and water each day to 50+ animals, someone has to walk the dogs each day, someone has to provide veterinary care to those that need it, animals which require medication need to have it administered, someone has to pay the electric and water and heat bills.

(Local 8 Now - Oct 29, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment