Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Woman, Davidson police officer attacked by dog are on the mend

NORTH CAROLINA -- Corporal David Houk with the Davidson Police Department recalls a scary encounter with a dog that happened last week.

"I'm pushing him off of me, trying to push him off of me. His tooth is stuck in my cheek and is pulling my cheek away, he said.

"I was just very fortunate to be at the right place at the right time," said Houk.

The right place was on Caldwell Lane in Davidson last Thursday afternoon. Corporal Houk was in his patrol car when he noticed a woman struggling to keep her dog from running away. Across the street was another woman with a Chihuahua.


Houk said, "By the time I got around my car, the dog was already throwing her around like a rag doll."

He added, "By the time I reached the dog, the dog had proceeded to start chewing on her head."

Houk said he then grabbed the dog by the collar and wrestled him to the ground.

"At this point, I had to use both my hands to keep the dog under control because it was very large and very strong," he said.

"He grabbed hold of my thumb," said Houk.

"By this time I'm up on my knees....Then he started chewing on my face," he said.

Once again he was able to wrestle the dog to the ground.

"There I was left with no other option than to put the dog down," said Houk.

After a couple of days off, the officer is back at work and getting better.

"The stitches came out of my face yesterday," he said.

Davidson Police officer David Houk came to the rescue of Roz Dever

"The hand is coming along. It's pretty deep, but it's coming along," said Houk.

Davidson Police Chief Jeannie Miller called Houk a hero.

As for the other woman who was attacked, Houk said they've stayed in touch and they've been helping each other through this healing process and she is on the mend as well.

(WCNC - Nov 5, 2015)

Earlier:

No comments:

Post a Comment