Monday, December 28, 2015

St. Clair Co. woman recounts pit bulls mauling her dog to death

ALABAMA -- Two pit bulls had St. Clair County residents scared to leave their homes. The animals reportedly attacked and killed a dog on Wednesday.

WIAT42 had cameras rolling as St. Clair County Animal Control picked up the two dogs from the Pine Road neighborhood on Friday. The owner of the rat terrier that was mauled to death described the scene as a horror show.

“She wasn’t there and I knew, I had a gut feeling something was wrong,” said Donna Moore.


Moore’s gut feeling was correct. She told us her 12-year-old rat terrier, Missy, was torn to shreds by two pit bulls. Her son in law watched in horror as everything unfolded.

“They went back over to her and he said one was on one end and the other was on the other end and was tugging and pulling on her, so he got her and brought her home and buried her for me,” Moore said.

An incident report was filed on Wednesday with the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Office. Animal Control picked up the two young pits on Friday.

One concerned resident sent out a message warning people on Pine Road which quickly sparked some action. There has been speculation that the dogs belonged to a family in the area that had moved away.

“I don’t know why the pit bulls were still there or are still there or off chains,” said Moore.

Moore’s biggest concern was her grandchildren.

“I didn’t want my family or my grand babies to come up here for the holidays because I was afraid for them. I’ve been here 20 years and I’ve never been scared to be in my own yard,” she said.

Now that the two dogs have been taken in, Moore says she can breathe a little easier this holiday season.

“My Missy, maybe she can rest in peace and have her justice, and maybe I can rest easy with my grand babies being here,” said Moore.

Animal Control says Moore will have to come in and positively identify the two pit bulls as being the ones that attacked her rat terrier. Other residents in the area we spoke with said although these dogs may have been caught, they do believe there are still other pit bulls on the loose in the area.

(WIAT 42 - Dec 18, 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment