Friday, February 5, 2016

Alabama: 13-Year-Old Recovering After Brutal Pit Bull Attack

ALABAMA -- Get well soon cards are lined up on a table in family’s living room. The outpouring of support for Hunter has been a light in the darkness this family has endured.

A week ago 13-year-old Hunter Sharman was brutally attacked by a pit bull. His mother, who witnessed the attack, says that her son opened the front door of their home and the dog attacked him and dragged him into the yard.

 

Sharman remembers the attack and says he was, “full of fear and full of struggle too because she had to beat it with a board while I punched it. That dog was crazy.”

Daniell Striplin described that attack on her son, “It was unreal. It plays in my head day after day after day of what had happened. I did what I had to do. I’m a mom that’s my baby out there getting mangled up by a dog.”

It was her neighbor’s quick thinking and her fast actions that saved Hunter’s life, “My neighbor hollered there’s a board, there’s a board- I picked the board up and I just started hitting the dog.”

 

The attack left Hunter with severe damage to his legs and his arms. He has a long road ahead but he’s learning to walk again. Hunter says walking has been difficult, “I kind of just wanted to walk my own way but that wasn’t happening.”

For now, he’s using a cane to get around but his mother says that with more physical therapy they expect him to be back on his feet soon. She says that it’s their Crestview Community that’s helped them stay afloat during such a difficult time. She says the neighbors brought, “baskets for Hunter, balloons, cards- I mean it’s just been unbelievable and we appreciate it very much.”


Their family is trying to move forward but Daniell Striplin says the pit bull attack on Andrew Bulger earlier this week hit close to home, “My heart goes out to them, it really hit close to home.”

Hunter has his own message for those dealing with the same situation, “Don’t lose hope, don’t lose determination.”

Hunter’s family has set up a page for him to help with his medical bills in the coming months. You can access that page at https://donorbox.org/hunter.

(WKRG - Feb 4, 2016)

1 comment: