Sunday, March 6, 2016

Indiana: Victims speak out about vicious pit bull attack

INDIANA -- The victims of a vicious attack by four dogs in Carroll County last October are speaking out about their encounter. News 18 sat down with the two women who said while their wounds may have healed, the emotional scars still linger.

On the evening of Oct. 1, 2015, 20-year-old Rebekah Forgey of Kokomo and 19-year-old Isabella George of Carroll County were out for a walk near George’s home when they were viciously attacked by four pit bulls.

 

“Four dogs came running out towards us,” said George. “We didn’t have time to think about what was happening.”

Forgey added, “We really didn’t have time to react.”


It happened along County Road 225 East, near Cutler. The dogs chased the women into the field and began attacking them.

The animals owner, Richard Darter, tried to intervene but was unsuccessful.

“The flesh and muscle was completely torn off. I could see my bones, basically,” said Forgey. “Then my scalp was torn, and then I just had bites and scratches everywhere too.”

 
 
 

George spoke about her wounds from the attack.

“My left leg was the worst on my thigh, just because they had bit down so hard,” said Forgey.

George said about 30 minutes after the attack began, Janet Eikenberry was driving down the road when she saw the girls and stopped to help.

 
"It still gives me chills when I think about it," Rebekah said. "I just
know that God answered my prayers because I prayed and
she showed up right at that time."

“I looked up from everything that was happening and I was like, ‘Oh my gosh there’s a car. Finally!’ Then I was waving my arms,” George retold.

Darter and George were taken to IU Health Arnett Hospital in Lafayette for treatment and later released.

Forgey was airlifted to St. Vincent Hospital in critical condition. She now wears a wig to cover the scars left on her scalp and had to take part in months of physical therapy.

 

But despite the scars, Forgey is optimistic.

“I’m back to school and I’m not working yet. I’m on medical leave, but everything is really good,” said Forgey.

All four dogs were put down by the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office shortly after the attack.


In January, the dogs’ owner Richard Darter (aka Rick Darter) pleaded guilty to eight charges in connection with the attack. He is scheduled to appear in court next month and faces up to eight years in prison.

(WHIO - March 5, 2016)

Earlier:

No comments:

Post a Comment