Friday, April 8, 2016

Nebraska: Girl says neighbor provoked pit bull to attack her

NEBRASKA -- An Omaha mother is looking for answers after her 9 year-old daughter was attacked by a neighbor's dog.

“Seeing that dog's teeth and the growling and her wrestling at 9 years old trying to get this dog off, I felt like there was a point of no return,” said Elaina Jackson. “It was out of control and it was a huge dog.”

The pit bull is currently under observation at the Humane Society to make sure it doesn't have rabies or any other infections. Once it's cleared, it will be returned to its owner. Animal Control officers said the little girl's wounds weren't bad enough to have the pit bull put down.


The victim's mother disagrees and thinks the dog is dangerous.

"I was scared to death. I thought I was about to lose one of my children,” said Jackson.


Jackson's 9-year-old daughter, Alisse, was playing outside with her brothers late Sunday afternoon when a neighbor's dog attacked her.

"I look out the window, and the dog's on top of my daughter, my 9 year-old, and it's growling. The window's up so I can hear the growling. And I’m in shock,” said Jackson. "I come out with a hammer cause I’m trying to defend my kid. I was gonna get that dog."


The pit bull ran back to its owner and Alisse was bleeding with a bite wound on her ankle and scratches on her back, knees, and thighs.

"It started to try to bite my neck, so then after that I was punching it, kicking it and trying to get it off me,” said Alisse.

Alisse claims the pit bull's teenage owner ordered the dog to attack her.


"She said "go get 'em. ready, set, go," Alisse remembers.

An ambulance rushed to the scene and EMTs treated Alisse's wounds. They also wanted her to have a series of tests, concerned that the dog that bit her might have rabies.

"My daughter doesn't have insurance. Who’s gonna pay those bills? We don't have any of that. I’m gonna receive those bills when she goes to the doctor again on Thursday. Who pays that?" Jackson said.


She is now trying to find the parents of the teenager who had the dog. She's also filed a police report and has an attorney looking into possible legal action.

As for Alisse, this attack has made her afraid of dogs.

"Even if it's a little small dog - still scared," Alisse told WOWT 6 News.

The owner will be cited for not having a proper restraint for the dog. That citation comes with a maximum punishment of 6 months in jail or a $500 fine.

(WOWT - ‎Apr 6, 2016‎)

No comments:

Post a Comment