Saturday, May 14, 2016

South Africa: Man's Africanis dog saves him when he is attacked by a pit bull

SOUTH AFRICA -- A dog saved his teenage owner when a Pit Bull attacked him in Glen Anil on Wednesday.

Cameron Grindell, who spoke exclusively to News24, said he had been walking his dogs around the neighbourhood.

He noticed his neighbour’s gate was open. He saw the neighbour pulling out of her driveway and heard her screaming for her dog not to run out of the yard.

“The dog sprinted up and growled and barked and was going mad. All of a sudden it ran around toward my left. I knew it was going to bite me and I just stood still,” Grindell said.

“It bit me on my backside and it shook and then when it bit me again, our dog managed to knock it off me,” he said.

Grindell's dog is an Africanis.

 

NOTE: The photos are from Africa Geographic Magazine, which has a very interesting article titled "Afrikanis: The dog shaped by Africans for Africa"

The woman managed to take control of the animal and got it back inside the house.

She let the teen use her cellphone to call his mother before leaving him, bleeding, at the roadside.

Petrified
His mother, Adrienne Wulfsohn, a trauma doctor, rushed to the scene to find her son unable to walk and petrified.

“She had just left him there and another neighbour had come outside and gave him water.

“When I went to get him, his clothes were torn and he was injured. The same dog had almost attacked my gardener and he managed to run away a couple of days earlier. What was more of a concern to me was that she just got in her car and left,” Wulfsohn said.

“This is a quiet area with lots of children on the roads and what if it gets out again? I am going to open a case with the police and SPCA about this,” she said.

Grindell was treated at a Durban hospital for bite marks on his buttocks and leg and was discharged on Wednesday night.

(NEWS24 - May 13, 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment