Friday, November 11, 2016

Florida: Chihuahua, being walked by its owner, is attacked by Rottweiler

FLORIDA -- This is my little guy, Buddy, a 10 year old Chihuahua who weighs 8.3 pounds.

Two days ago, Buddy was viciously attacked by my neighbors Rottweiler. The dog came tearing out from his yard to the gravel road where Buddy and I were walking. The Rottweiler repeatedly bit Buddy around the neck and chest, shaking him violently and then flinging him into the air like a rag doll.

I screamed for help and tried to intervene but the Rottweiler was in a blood-thirsty frenzy. They broke apart briefly and I decided at the risk of being bitten in the face, I had to pick up Buddy or he would be dead after the next onslaught of attacks.

I picked Buddy up as the owner of the Rottweiler came out to the road and called his dog.


We rushed Buddy to the Animal ER. On the way, I could see that Buddy was going into shock from blood loss. The towel I wrapped him in and and my pants were soaked in blood. He was going limp. I prayed and said to God, "Take my house. I don't want it. Take my car. I don't want it either. Take all my clothes. They suck anyway. But leave me my dog...PLEASE!".

When we arrived at the ER, they were able to take him in right away. They put him on an IV, oxygen, and placed him in a heated chamber to raise his body temperature. In the end, he had to have his left kidney removed because it had been torn away and he received sutures for the puncture wounds in the muscle wall between his ribs from the bites. There was some internal bleeding and massive swelling and bruising but...he's alive. 

Miraculously, after facing off against a 90 pound Rottweiler, my tough little Chihuahua is still alive and I'm incredibly grateful. Now that he is home resting, I'm kinda hoping God won't remember the whole bit about me saying "Take my house. I don't want it!". He can still have the clothes though. lol #PETSAREFAMILY


Melissa Rios: Oh poor Buddy! The kids & I will be praying for him & you!

Joy Peters: Glad Buddy is still with us. Praying for his speedy recovery. Please do contact animal control. They need to know people are letting their large aggressive dog run loose. And those owners should pay your bill. Good luck to you and Buddy.

MaryEllen Olson: What a sad and tragic story. I'm so sorry and hope that Buddy

Craig Stephens: How terrible!! Poor Buddy! I'm glad you're both okay. That could have gone very badly for you, too!