Sunday, May 28, 2017

Ohio: Case of puppy forced to drink alcohol until it was drunk - Tanna Howser, Farrell Weger and Jennifer Schwab set to appear before judge June 9th

OHIO -- The case involving three Ashtabula residents who police say gave alcohol to a puppy will be heard June 9, according to Municipal Court records.

Tanna J. Howser, 32, Jennifer Schwab, 36, and Farrell Weger, 39, are charged with cruelty to companion animals, a first-degree Misdemeanor, according to court records.


Schwab and Howser are expected to change their pleas to guilty at 1:15 p.m. June 9th.

Weger is scheduled for a pre-trial appearance the same day before Acting Judge David Sheldon.

Weger has an unrelated domestic violence charge pending in Municipal Court. He was scheduled to face the domestic violence charge at 2:15 p.m. Dec. 27, 2016 for a pre-trial.

All three pleaded not guilty at their respective arraignments and are free on $1,000 personal recognizance bonds, according to court records.

Before a scheduled hearing last month, Weger said he will not plead guilty because he is innocent. He says the women posted a photo of the puppy sleeping and “as a joke” placed in on Facebook, claiming the puppy was drunk.


Facebook users then alerted police about photos of an intoxicated dog posted on the social media site.

Police arrived at a home in the 300 block of West 53rd Street at 3:45 p.m. Monday after receiving calls about photos of an intoxicated dog posted on Facebook. Police were told the puppy was intentionally given vodka and Kahlua, according to the police report.

Schwab told police Weger gave the four-month-old puppy alcoholic drinks.

Howser then posted the photo of the puppy on Facebook with the caption, “lilybug is drunk she pass the (expletive) out on us LOL,” according to police.

After Schwab told police it was Weger who'd given the puppy vodka and Kahlua, Weger then claimed said he only gave the puppy "a few licks" of an alcoholic beverage before going to bed.

The city’s animal control officer, Derrell McCaleb, removed the dog from the home and took it to the Animal Protective League in Kingsville, where it was placed in a foster home.

(Star Beacon - May 10, 2017)