Thursday, November 16, 2017

California: Elk Grove police shoot and kill Pit Bull that attacked three people in three separate locations

CALIFORNIA -- Elk Grove police responded to a call of a loose pit bull that attacked three people in the Camden area of Elk Grove last night.

The first person that was bitten by the dog and the one who called 911, Elk Grove resident Darren Sissom, provided his account of the incident

”On Tuesday night at 9:45pm I was leaving my house to the store. When I went to get into my car the dog was in the road and charged at me.



"The pit bull attacked me and latched onto my leg. I had to punch his nose to get his released. He did let go and tried to attack me again a few times but not before I kicked it to defend myself.

[After attacking me] The dog was walking around in front of my house and I called 911 to report it. While I was on the phone I tried to call the dog back towards me to contain it to the area around my home. When the dog wandered towards our park strip, I followed it in my car and was tracking it for the responding police.



"While tracking the dog, I saw it was heading towards two men on a bench in the park. I yelled to them to not let the dog near them since it had just attacked me. The dog turned and attacked one of the men. The poor guy was bit 5 to 6 times while wresting with it in the park.

The dog finally stopped when the owners ex-girlfriend took the dog home but not on a leash. While she took the dog home it also attacked another girl a few houses away.

"When the officers arrived I told them where the dog was located. They went down the street to find the dog and the pit bull charged at the officers. The next thing I know I heard 4-5 gun shots and they had to shoot the dog. After waiting for CSI and Animal Control I was finally able to head to the ER but we won’t know the results of a rabies test until next week.”

Elk Grove Police Department Spokesman Chris Trim issued this statement this morning:

Last night at around 9:44pm, officers responded to a call regarding a vicious dog (Pit bull) that had attacked and bit three people.

When officers arrived at the location, they found the dog and observed it walk into the bushes near two residences. Officers developed a plan to detain the dog, and each officer had a different level of force (bean bag shotgun, Taser, handgun and a catch pole) ready to deploy.


As the officers we were getting set up, the dog ran from between two houses, crossed the street then charged directly towards an officer.  The officer discharged his department issued handgun and struck the dog several times.

Animal Control responded to the location and recovered the deceased dog.

(Elk Grove Laguna News - November 15, 2017)