Friday, November 25, 2011

Teens save their grandma from attacking dogs

TEXAS -- A Wichita Falls grandmother is especially thankful this Thanksgiving week. She says her grandsons saved her life from large dogs that attacked her Friday afternoon.

The attack was brutal. "I stepped off the porch and there's three dogs waiting for me. I tried to turn around but when I turned around it was too late," she said.


A Pit bull and a Border Collie attacked her.

"The Pit bull was behind me, he threw me to the ground when he threw me on the ground that's when they started biting me…All I could feel were bites and I was kicking and screaming and doing everything I could do and then two of them started dragging me," said Cruz Gonzales, 59.

As she was being drug across her yard, she saw her 19 year old grandsons, David Rios and Gonzalo Gonzalez coming to her rescue. "All of a sudden I see my two grandsons," she said.

"As soon as I came outside, the two dogs that were attacking her came after us I jumped in before they finished her off. I'm pretty sure anyone would have jumped out there for their grandma," said Rios.

Rios escaped with a bite to his arm and chest. The other two victims went to the hospital. Gonzales suffered bites to her thighs and rear, and had injuries all over her body. Gonzalez was also bitten badly.


As the family recovers, they have grown closer. After that day she's been thanking me for helping her that makes me feel good. I helped my grandma, it could have been way worse," said Rios. "I'm lucky to be alive because of my two grand kids or else there would be no Thanksgiving. To have two heroes? I can't even put it into words," said Gonzales.

Gonzales said she had reported the same loose dogs to Animal Control many times in the past. Newschannel 6 called Animal Services Director Katrina Mitchell to see how many reports they had received on the animals. Mitchell said she could not comment or release the information.

Newschannel 6 has submitted a Freedom of Information Act request to the City of Wichita Falls requesting the following information.

 "Requestor seeks information regarding call and complaint history regarding dogs seized from the area of 213 Farris, Wichita Falls, Texas on or about Friday, November 18, 2011. Requestor seeks any and all calls of complaint received about the above dogs in a 6 month period ending November 18, 2011. Requestor seeks records of any action taken by Animal Services in regards to those calls - including dispatch logs. Requestor seeks records of all animal calls within a three block radius of 213 Farris in a 6 month period ending November 18, 2011. Requestor seeks any and all reports, documents, photographs, narratives or any other records from the incident that happened on or about Friday, November 18, 2011."

The City has 10 days to respond to the request. Newschannel 6 will continue to follow this story.

(Newschannel 6 - Nov 21, 2011)