Saturday, December 17, 2011

Victim of dog attack thanks man who saved her life


ARIZONA -- The victim of a dog attack got a chance to thank the man who saved her life, and the life of her Australian Shepard, Raleigh.

60-year old Sandra Chapman was released from the hospital on Thursday. She suffered head trauma, and bruises on her ankle and back.

Chapman had more than 40 staples on her head, but was in good spirits, saying she was grateful to be alive, and even happier that her dog had survived.

"He's my baby, he sleeps on the bed with me," said Chapman.

Chapman was overwhelmed to her neighbor James Corcoran, who pulled out a gun and shot the vicious dogs who were attacking Raleigh, and Chapman.

"I just want to thank you so much. I thought for a second my dog was going to die, and I would have died inside if that happened," said Chapman as she gave Corcoran a big hug.


Chapman and her dog Raleigh were walking down Risner Boulevard, when sheriff's officials say three dogs broke through a gate in a fenced in yard, and attacked.

"The growling was intense. It was like lions tearing apart something," said Chapman.

She threw herself in the middle of the dog fight to save Raleigh.

"I was going to fight to the end. I love that dog more than anything, except God and Jesus Christ," said Chapman.

The boxers then turned their rage on Chapman and attacked her.

Chapman said she blacked out.

Neighbors rushed out, many of them tried to throw things at the dogs and get them apart.

James Corcoran who lived half a block away said he was having coffee on his front porch when he heard the screaming.

"I heard a woman yell get the dogs off her, they're going to kill her. That's when I went inside the house and got my gun."

 
Hero James Corcoran

Corcoran shot two of the Boxers involved in the [attack]. He said he did not shoot the Pit Bull mix, because he was just standing there and barking, and did not appear to be involved in the [attack].

Corcoran said he was an animal lover, and it broke his heart to shoot the dogs.

"I went up to the daughter and her mother, I was in tears telling her I had to do it. I was so sorry."

Sheriff's officials said if Corcoran had not fired the fatal shots, Chapman or her dog could be dead.

"I just did what I had to do," said Corcoran.

KOLD News 13 also spoke to the owners of the vicious dogs.

Dorothy Montoya said their gate was usually locked, but the dogs might have nudged the latch off.

Montoya said she was scared and sad to see how it all went down. She felt Corcoran did the right thing by shooting her dogs. 

The owners of the dogs say they're sorry, but why
haven't they paid the bill for the Aussie?!

"I don't know why they would attack a human. In this case I think it was the right thing to do."

Her mother, Margaret Montoya said she was too ashamed to visit the victim of this dog attack.

"All I can say is I am so sorry. I am so sad about this. We watch that gate so closely. I am so sorry," said Montoya.

Chapman said she was saddened to hear the incident ended with dogs having to die.

"I feel really bad. I love animals," said Chapman with tears in her eyes.

The Pit Bull, which was less than a year old, was taken to the Huachuca City Animal shelter and was under quarantine for ten days.

Animal control officials said they would determine his fate after the investigation was complete.

"We'll do our investigation to see if he was involved. If he was not, and his temperament is good, and he gets along with other dogs, it's up to the shelter, but we can take him to a rescue where he'll have a better chance of getting a house," said Lori Nichols-Wright.
Witnesses say they don't think the pit
bull was involved

She added that if he was involved, they would have no choice but to put him down.

The owners of the animal had turned him over to the shelter, and faced three counts of dangerous dog at large, and three counts of having a vicious animal.

The Sierra Vista animal shelter was caring for Raleigh.  Staff said bills were mounting up in the hundreds of dollars, and they appealed to the community for help.

If you would like to help, you can stop by the shelter located at 6799 East Highway 90,
Sierra Vista. You can also call them at (520) 458-4151.

(KOLD - Dec 16, 2011)