Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Wife of Accused Describes Horse Shooting

NEW YORK -- An ongoing argument between neighbors could have led to the death of six horses and six charges of animal cruelty for the New Berlin man accused of killing them.

Action News shares an exclusive interview with his wife about the shootings.

It began decades ago according to one neighbor, a dispute between neighbors involving animals and property.

Lauren McMaster

Tensions heightened over the past two weeks, with numerous complaints by Lauren and Carolyn McMaster about the neighbor's horses and cows coming onto their property.

They say the animals have been damaging their plants and crops of those who rent land there.

On April 20, and April 26, State Police responded to those complaints, trying to come to a resolution between the two property owners and keep the animals contained.

"On Friday he shot four animals and he came back and I said 'Did you get the stallion? Did you get the stallion?' And he said, 'I don't know'.



"So Friday night after one of the animals was wounded and went back over still on my property, he and another person they were trying to get the animals off my property but the animals were still their they are not able to contain these animals," said Carolyn McMaster.

"So Saturday when my husband went out there here are horses still on our place, and so he shot the other two," said Carolyn McMaster.

Lauren McMaster is charged with six counts each of criminal mischief and Cruelty to Animals.

Investigators believe he shot and killed the horses with a 12 gauge shot gun.

On Tuesday problems still remained.

"There was a complaint this morning we did respond to it and we are addressing that as well. I would say the actions of the defendant were unjustified for what he did," said Captain James Barnes with New York State Police of Troop C in Sidney.


"I tell my husband I am scared to death, I can't go outside, I'm so scared of those animals," said McMaster."

McMaster was sent to the Chenango County jail on $500 bail, he was at home Tuesday when Action News spoke with his wife.

(WBNG - May 1, 2012)