Friday, July 27, 2012

Abused Conklin dogs are recovering

NEW YORK -- This was the condition of thirteen Dobermans when they were removed from Christine Macan's home on July 4th. They were emaciated, covered in feces and had been living with the bodies of several other dead dogs and dead small animals.

"I've seen a lot in my years, but this one truly is one of the worst I've seen, because of the conditions they lived in and the amount of animals was quite alarming," said Humane Society Animal Cruelty Investigator Tarah Tripp.


Two weeks later, the Humane Society says the dogs and other small animals taken from the home are taking steps toward recovery. The living rabbits and hamsters are being given care. Twelve of the thirteen dogs are still alive and are slowly regaining their health.

"They are gaining weight. They are very friendly and very happy. They are getting their exercise. They've been given several baths," said Tripp.

Two of the dogs have already found new homes, but the Humane Society is accepting adoption applications for the other ten. The dogs will be ready for adoption next week.

"I'm very hopeful they will find wonderful home. I'm going to be personally adamant that each and every home I choose, I will do a home visit and checking references and making sure it’s a perfect fit for their lifestyle," said Tripp.


A recovery effort that investigators say was helped by the support of the community.

"We're very pleased that the community has come out and helped us, we've never had so many food and monetary donations that I can remember in my six years," said Tripp.

And one that can remind the public of the important role they can play in reporting alleged case of animal cruelty.

(YNN - July 17, 2012)

Earlier: