Sunday, August 12, 2012

Owner of pit bull in attack on police horse says his dog isn't aggressive

CALIFORNIA -- The owner of a pit bull accused of attacking a park police horse at San Francisco's Crissy field wanted to tell his side of the story.

David Gizzarelli, the dog's owner, said he let his dog Charlie off leash in a grassy area on Monday and his dog started running toward a park police horse that was on patrol.


Gizzarelli admitted that Charlie bit the horse in the leg and then chased the horse.

"I'm sorry for everything that happened, sorry for the horse, sorry for the officer," Gizzarelli said. "I stepped up and I took responsibility."

The 44-year-old told KTVU he runs almost every day at Crissy Field with Charlie, a 1 1/2-year-old Staffordshire terrier or pit bull, who he has raised since he was a puppy.

Gizzarelli said he's worried animal control may order the dog destroyed and he's also concerned about the federal charges he's facing, including assault on a police officer.

"I could go to federal prison," he said. "I don't know what's going to happen. I don't have an attorney. I can't afford an attorney. (He's) a very friendly animal. (He) gets along with all animals and people, he has just never seen a horse before."

Park police arrested Gizzarelli right after the attack, but he was released two hours later.

San Francisco Animal Control returned Charlie to Gizzaerlli on the condition that Charlie remains leashed at all times, stating that the dog had no [reported] history of aggressive behavior.

The hearing to decide if the dog will be destroyed is scheduled for Aug. 23.


"He's been my best friend and I don't know what I'd do without him," Gizzarelli added.

Gizzarelli is scheduled to be in federal court to face charges on Oct. 11.

He said he expects to be fined, but hopes the charges will be dropped.

(KTVU San Francisco - Aug 10, 2012)