Thursday, October 18, 2012

Poodle owner wants attack dogs destroyed

AUSTRALIA -- The owner of a poodle mauled in a dog fight at Coolum on Sunday wants the animals destroyed.

Fiona Burns was out walking on Sunday morning when she saw two dogs running down the street.

Her 18-month-old poodle Charlie was with her on his lead. The dogs, believed to be bull mastiff-crosses, first sniffed Charlie, then attacked him by the neck as Ms Burns screamed for help.

Fiona Burns with her poodle, Charlie.
"I can say watching these two beasts with their jaws locked around my dog's neck was one of the most horrific events I have witnessed," she said.

"I do believe Charlie's collar saved his life. I was frightened for my own personal safety and I am traumatised by the event."

Onlookers rushed to help and threw wheelie bins at the dogs until they finally let go. They also helped Ms Burns stem Charlie's bleeding .

Charlie had to have two staples in his neck and has puncture marks on his neck and ears.

The vet bill came to $200, which Ms Burns intends to seek reimbursement for. The dogs' owner said on Monday the attack was out of character. Ms Burns disagreed.

"Those dogs were on the hunt for prey. They are bloodied and I want them destroyed," she said.

"My niece regularly stays with me and I shudder at the thought if it had been her walking Charlie and not me."

Ms Burns said Charlie was "okay", but she was still traumatised.

She is also too afraid to enjoy her normal work as the council allowed the dogs to return to their home, around the corner from Ms Burns.

A council spokeswoman said inquiries were continuing.

(The Sunshine Coast Daily - Oct 16, 2012)