Friday, January 18, 2013

2 Iqaluit residents attacked by sled dogs

CANADA -- City officials are investigating a series of dog attacks in Nunavut's capital.

Iqaluit resident Natalie Champagne was attacked by two sled dogs as she was walking home from work two weeks ago.

The dogs, which are now caged and tied up, were loose on the streets.



"I was so afraid for my life. I thought they were going to kill me," she said.

Champagne managed to fight the dogs off with her purse.

She then called the RCMP and headed to the hospital. They gave her a tetanus shot and cleaned up her wounds. A week later, a local taxi driver who calls himself Blondie also had an encounter with the dogs.

"It was a Sunday and I was walking by myself and two dogs tried to attack me so I had to defend myself," he said.

Blondie kicked and hit them. He said he’s glad there were no children around at the time of the attack.

"They are very big. If it was a kid, it would be a dead meat kid," said Blondie.

The dogs were apprehended and are now under quarantine. They were tested for any illnesses and results will take 10 days.


"What happens is, it depends on the information we gather. Like, the investigation is going on right now and as soon as we determine all the facts within the investigation it will determine whether or not charges will be laid, and of course it would be laid against the owner of the dogs," said Kevin Sloboda, the City of Iqaluit’s Chief Enforcement Officer.

Officials say dogs can be unpredictable. They say any animal can become aggressive at times, whether it's a house dog or a sled dog.

They are advising people to be cautious around dogs.

(CBC News - Jan 16, 2013)