Thursday, April 11, 2013

Faversham woman saved from bull terrier attack

UNITED KINGDOM -- A woman who was savagely attacked by a dog outside her home has praised the heroic actions of her neighbours who came to rescue her.

Hospital technician Emma Burford, 23, suffered muscle and nerve damage after being mauled by a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

She had to have three stitches in her ankle and now has to use crutches to get around.

Police say another woman, who had been looking after the dog, was also taken to hospital after being attacked the same day.


The attack happened just before 11pm on Tuesday, April 2.

Miss Burford, who has had to take two weeks off work to recover from her ordeal, said she had left her home in Hatch Street after hearing shouting and barking coming from a nearby house.

But as she stepped outside a Staffordshire bull terrier ran at her and sank its teeth into her ankle.

She said: "I was in excruciating pain as it bit me and I screamed at the top of my voice and shouted for help. It went for me again and kept clenching its teeth harder and harder, getting more painful each time.

"I'm just so grateful to my neighbours for helping me. They are my heroes."

Miss Burford added: "It was a huge shock but I'm just glad it was me and not a child otherwise we could be talking about a fatality. It kept trying to pull me off balance but all I could think to myself was that I could live without my feet but not my hands.

"I was worried it would pull me to the floor and go for my face. I'm an animal-lover but this has made me scared of dogs."

Neighbour Paul Gibson, 40, Hatch Street was the first on the scene. He said: "I saw Emma on the floor with the dog attacking her. It was vicious. I prodded it with a walking stick at first but that didn't work so I gave it a whack and then tried to make it release its hold.

"Eventually, with another neighbour we managed to get hold of the collar and tie it to a lamppost until the police got there. It took all my strength, the dog was made of solid muscle.

"I felt sorry for it but I had to get it off Emma.

"We've all got kids here so it makes you wonder what could have happened. I think they should bring back dog permits so this doesn't happen again."

Joy Nicholson, 50, who has just moved to the area said: "It is a really good neighbourhood but I get nervous walking up that road now. It doesn't make you feel safe thinking that can happen in a town centre."

Charlotte Wratten, of Caslocke Street, had been looking after the family pet, Taz, when the dog bit her hand and stomach and then ran into the street.

She said: "We are really upset that he might be put down and it is unfortunate because he was a good dog. He was only acting like he was because there were puppies here and he must have thought he was under attack. But now he has bitten me I wouldn't want him back in the house."

Kent Police spokesman Glenn Pearson, confirmed that a Staffordshire bull terrier had been seized under the Dangerous Dogs Act after allegedly attacking two people.

(This is Kent - April 11, 2013)